CheckPoint is the largest pure-play security vendor globally, and has a long history of being a respected security solutions provider and the company’s devices are one of the most deployed firewalls in use today.
Till now, for eighteen consecutive years Check Point has been positioned in the “Leaders” quadrant in the Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Network Firewalls. Check Point is also positioned in the “Leaders” for Unified Threat Management (UTM) for five years till now. Gartner evaluates each vendor’s Enterprise Network Firewall offerings on a scale of completeness of vision and ability to execute.
Traffic Control Methods:
- Packet Filtering in OSI Layer 3 (Network) and Layer 4 (Transport)
- Stateful control by Inspect Engine, again at L3 and L4 but with more focus on L4
- Application Awareness
Check Point Operating system:
We talk here about both Management Server and the Gateways (firewalls) OS.
- IPSO was the initial version, based on BSD (Nokia’s IPSO).
- SecurePlatform (SPLAT), based on Redhat
- GAiA is the latest version!
With small environments, it’s possible to have the Management Server and Gateway on the same hardware. This is called Standalone deployment.